CABI improves crop production and quality by helping farmers to grow more healthy, high quality and safe produce that can be sold in domestic and global markets. This leads to a reliable, sustainable and cost effective supply source, and enables farmers to improve their income and raise their family’s quality of life.
We maximize crop yields by preventing losses to pests and diseases, and support producers in complying with food safety and SPS standards. As well as allowing developing countries to benefit fully from trade opportunities and to access lucrative new markets, this results in a better quality crop which farmers can sell at a higher price.
To make our work sustainable and extend its impact we also provide knowledge and training to national extension workers, researchers, scientists and suppliers of agro-inputs (pesticides and fertilisers) so that they give the best advice and support to farmers.
Our crop management work involves:
• training farmers in best practice agricultural skills and techniques, including better ways of using pesticides
• raising awareness of consumers’ expectations and safety concerns
• improving access to practical, farmer-friendly information and resources – using factsheets, online knowledge hubs and mobile advisory services
• developing sustainable ways of managing pests, including using IPM techniques as part of a better pest management approach
• advising farmers on how to identify and manage plant health problems, for instance through our network of plant clinics
• introducing new processing and storage techniques that reduce post-harvest loss due to spoilage