13 - 15 November 2018
This course provides expert tuition in isolating and culturing fungi from environmental sources, identifying at least 20 common fungal genera by morphology and providing information on hazard status of key environmental and laboratory species.
It will be of particular value to those working in the pharmaceutical, food and biotechnology industries; laboratory personnel involved in quality control of clean rooms, products and industrial processes; technical staff working in environmental mycology and conservation personnel in the heritage sector.
Participants will receive, a comprehensive course manual, powerpoint lectures, authoritatively named cultures and practical demonstrations. Free slide boxes will be provided to take away labelled slides prepared during the course. Lectures and digital images will be provided on a memory stick.
The three-day programme includes lectures and practical demonstrations of techniques. Discussions and workshops will provide participants with further opportunities to discuss aspects of their work with tutors and other course participants and to update their skills and knowledge.
- Environmental sampling techniques
- Isolation methods
- Use of media; culturing techniques
- Slide preparation
- Introduction to fungal groups
- Mucoraceous fungi: Mucor, Rhizopus and related genera
- Conidial fungi including: Alternaria, Aureobasidium, Beauveria, Cladosporium, Epicoccum, Geotrichum, Stachybotrys, Trichoderma
- Aspergillus, Penicillium, Paecilomyces, Fusarium, Chaetomium
- Identifying fungi using taxonomic keys
- Review of the course
- Certificate presentation
CABI Europe-UK, Bakeham Lane, Egham, Surrey TW20 9TY.
CABI houses the UK’s National Collection of Fungus Cultures. CABI's Genetic Resources Collection is recognized as one of the world’s most important collections of fungi and bacteria and consists of over 28,000 living specimens.
Course cost and registration
The course costs £1925 (excl. VAT), including buffet lunch and refreshments.
**Early bird discount 10% on all payments received by 30th June 2018**
- 5% per person for 2 or more bookings from same organization (applies to non-members only)
- 20% for CABI Member Countries in bands 1-4.
To apply or receive further details about the course, please contact:
Ms Allison Dorsett
Tel: 01491 829032
Fax: 01491 829100