The Horizon Scanning Tool is a decision support aid that helps you identify and categorize species that might enter a particular geographic area from another geographic area.
- Refine by habitats, pathways, impact outcomes and organism types
- Open access datasheets
- Refine by additional filters - plant hosts and plant parts in trade
- Open access and subscription datasheets
The tool uses CABI data to generate a list of species that are not recorded as present in your selected ‘area at risk’ but are reported from ‘source areas’ i.e. geographic areas with similar climates to your ‘area at risk’, neighbouring areas or selected trading partners.
You are about to access the free version of the tool. You will be able to generate lists of species, refine your results by pathways, organism types, impact outcomes and habitats, and access linked open access species datasheets in the CABI Compendium.
You will see some greyed-out areas of the tool that you are unable to access as a free user. To access these premium features you will need a subscription to the CABI Compendium.
If you have a CABI Compendium subscription sign in to access the premium version of this specialized tool.Find out more about the CABI Compendium
Contact us about CABI Compendium subscriptions and full premium access firstname.lastname@example.org
Using the Horizon Scanning Tool
- Select your 'area at risk' or area of interest which doesn't currently have a pest/invasive species presence record
- Select potential 'source areas' where species are present and act as points of entry to your 'area at risk'
- Scan for results
- View species results
- plant hosts (for CABI Compendium subscribers only)
- plant parts in trade (for CABI Compendium subscribers only)
- impact outcomes
- organism types
Analyse your results:
- Output to CSV or XLSX
- Link to CABI Compendium datasheets (subscribe to CABI Compendium to access all datasheets)