Cookies on VetMed Resource

Like most websites we use cookies. This is to ensure that we give you the best experience possible.

 

Continuing to use www.cabi.org  means you agree to our use of cookies. If you would like to, you can learn more about the cookies we use.

VetMed Resource

Veterinary information to support practice, based on evidence and continuing education

Sign up to receive our Veterinary & Animal Sciences e-newsletter, book alerts and offers direct to your inbox.

Results per page:

Search results

Abstract

Case history: Two dogs presented separately to the Small Animal Hospital, University of Florida (Gainsville, FL, USA) for ingestion of ibuprofen. The first dog ingested 561.8 mg/kg ibuprofen in addition to paracetamol and caffeine and vomited prior to admission. This patient also received fluid...

Author(s)
Wolff, E. D. S.; Bandt, C.; Bolfer, L.
Publisher
Taylor & Francis, Melbourne, Australia
Citation
New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 2020, 68, 4, pp 255-260
Abstract

Objective: To describe the efficacy of serial charcoal hemoperfusion and hemodialysis in removing ibuprofen from a dog with severe clinical signs of toxicity. Case Summary: A dog ingested a minimum of 2,200 mg/kg of ibuprofen resulting in progressive neurologic dysfunction that progressed to a...

Author(s)
Tauk, B. S.; Foster, J. D.
Publisher
Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK
Citation
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 2016, 26, 6, pp 787-792
Abstract

Objective: To describe the treatment of ibuprofen intoxication with therapeutic plasma exchange in a dog (TPE). Summary A 13-year-old male neutered mixed breed dog presented after ingesting approximately 200 mg/kg of ibuprofen. Treatment consisted of supportive medical therapy with IV fluids,...

Author(s)
Walton, S.; Ryan, K. A.; Davis, J. L.; Acierno, M.
Publisher
Wiley, Boston, USA
Citation
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 2017, 27, 4, pp 451-457
Abstract

A 7-month-old male (neutered) Australian Shepherd canine presented with vomiting and an altered, depressed demeanour, about 20-60 minutes after ingesting 22-24, 200 mg ibuprofen tablets. This article describes the long-term nursing care provided to a dog with ibuprofen toxicity. Aspects of...

Author(s)
Visser, C.; Dixon, T.
Publisher
MA Healthcare Limited, London, UK
Citation
The Veterinary Nurse, 2015, 6, 4, pp 222, 224-226
Abstract

Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) widely used in humans as an over the counter drug. This drug act by inhibiting the cyclooxygenase (COX), thereby decreasing the production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins mediate inflammation and pain, as well as other physiological...

Author(s)
Sibut, C. A.; Alcântara, M. A.; Bandt, C.; Bolfer, L.
Publisher
Sociedad Latinoamericana de Medicina Veterinaria de Emergencias y Cuidadas Intensivos, Maldonado, Uruguay
Citation
Journal LAVECC, 2016, 8, 1, pp 11-17
Abstract

Background: Therapeutic plasma exchange (TPE) may be an effective technique for treatment of accidental nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) overdose, but information regarding the use of this technique in veterinary medicine is currently limited. Objectives: To evaluate the overall outcome...

Author(s)
Rosenthal, M. G.; Labato, M. A.
Publisher
Wiley, Boston, USA
Citation
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2019, 33, 2, pp 596-602
Abstract

Ibuprofen is commonly ingested by animals, particularly dogs. Toxicosis may also occur in cats (although few cases are reported), while ferrets are at particular risk due to their small size. Although previously used clinically in dogs, ibuprofen has a narrow margin of safety and causes...

Author(s)
Bates, N.
Publisher
MA Healthcare Limited, London, UK
Citation
Companion Animal, 2016, 21, 6, pp 346-350
Abstract

The kidney has an essential role in maintaining normal physiological functions but it can be affected by various drugs and chemicals. A common seasonal cause of renal failure in cats is ingestion of antifreeze containing ethylene glycol. It is not the ethylene glycol itself which causes renal...

Author(s)
Bates, N.
Publisher
MA Healthcare Limited, London, UK
Citation
The Veterinary Nurse, 2019, 10, 8, pp 418-424
Abstract

This article discusses three toxins commonly encountered by dogs in the home environment. Theobromine, which is found in chocolate, can result in vomiting, diarrhoea and seizures. The ingestion of grapes and raisins can result in acute renal failure unless aggressive treatment is instituted....

Author(s)
Thompson, A.
Publisher
Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK
Citation
Veterinary Nursing Journal, 2012, 27, 10, pp 380-382
AbstractFull Text

The aim of this study is to provide information for best understanding intoxications produced by no steroidal antiinflamatories (NSAIDs) in human beings and pets. The main focus is the specie-specific difference and work done by the Toxicological Information Centers. Data referred to intoxications...

Author(s)
Riboldi, E.; Lima, D. A.; Dallegrave, E.
Publisher
FEPMVZ - Editora, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Citation
Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia, 2012, 64, 1, pp 39-44

Refine Results

Sort Order
Author
Geographical Location
Item Type
Language
Organisms
Subject Topics