Invasive Species Compendium

Detailed coverage of invasive species threatening livelihoods and the environment worldwide

Abstract

Patterns of bird relative abundance, diversity indices and conservation status in Sheikh Badin National Park, D. I. Khan, Pakistan.

Abstract

Determining the bird assemblages is utmost important to identify the adequacy and efficiency of habitats. The line transect method was used to determine patterns of bird relative abundance, diversity indices, and conservation status in Sheikh Badin National Park from November 2017 to December 2019. In total, 7,919 individuals (2,592 migrants and 5,327 inhabitants) representing 42 species and 25 families were enlisted. Of 42 species, 27 were native (i.e., 67.26%) utilizing the study area throughout the year, while the remaining 15 species were migrant (e.g., 32.73%) that used the study area during the winter. Passer domesticus (0.06%), Merops persicus (0.05%), Tachymarptis melba, and Ploceus philippinus (each 0.04%) were the overwhelming bird species. In contrast, Francolinus francolinus (0.02%), Falco tinnunculus (0.008%), and Alectoris chukar (0.005%) were the rarest bird species. All species were identified as "Least Concern" based on IUCN RedList. Diversity results showed birds were assorted a diverse, i.e. H' = 3.608 (resident birds; H' = 3.608 and migratory birds; H' = 2.543), rich; i.e. D = 0.031 (resident birds; D = 0.046 and migratory birds D = 0.093) and evenly distributed J = 0.965 (resident birds, J = 0.967 and migratory birds, J = 0.939). The perceptions of local inhabitants and personnel observation shown that bird species are facing confronting threats due to human endeavor, such as illegal hunting, habitat loss due deforestation, and uncontrolled grazing.