Invasive Species Compendium

Detailed coverage of invasive species threatening livelihoods and the environment worldwide

Abstract

Phytophthora species distribution in South African citrus production regions.

Abstract

Several Phytophthora spp. are known to cause a range of symptoms on citrus, resulting in significant crop losses worldwide. In South Africa, Phytophthora remains a destructive citrus disease, but the species and their distribution have not been well documented. A total of 162 Phytophthora isolates was collected from 60 citrus orchards in seven provinces of South Africa (Eastern Cape, Kwazulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Northern Cape, North West and Western Cape). Isolates were identified to the species level through PCR-RFLP (restriction fragment length polymorphism) analyses of the internal transcribed spacer region. The identity of a subset of the isolates was confirmed using morphological and sequence analyses. Phytophthora nicotianae was the predominant species (76% of isolates) and occurred in 80% of the orchards in all of the provinces, followed by P. citrophthora (22% of isolates in 28% of orchards). The P. citrophthora isolates were further subdivided into two previously identified subgroups, G1 and G2, with most (69%) of the isolates belonging to the G1 subgroup. Other Phytophthora species included P. multivora in the Western Cape Province, and an unknown species in the Eastern Cape Province with high sequence similarity (98%) to a putative new species submitted to GenBank as Phytophthora taxon Sisuluriver. Phytophthora palmivora, a known citrus pathogen, was not identified. Most of the P. nicotianae isolates (79%) were of the A1 mating type. The P. citrophthora isolates were mostly sterile (64%), including most of the G1 isolates (81%). The remaining G1 isolates (19%) belonged to the A1 mating type, whereas almost all G2 isolates belonged to the A2 mating type except for one isolate that was sterile.