Invasive Species Compendium

Detailed coverage of invasive species threatening livelihoods and the environment worldwide

Abstract

First report of Phoma herbarum on field pea (Pisum sativum) in Australia.

Abstract

In 2010 from a field pea blackspot disease screening nursery at Medina, Western Australia, approximately 25% of isolates were a Phoma sp. that was morphologically different to Phoma spp. previously reported on field pea in Western Australia, while the remaining 75% of isolates were either M. pinoides or P. medicaginis var. pinodella. Single-spore of 23 isolates of this Phoma sp. were made onto potato dextrose agar. In each case, the sequence had 99% nucleotide identity with the corresponding sequence in GenBank for P. herbarum. Isolate also showed morphological similarities to P. herbarum. This is thought to be the first report of P. herbarumas a pathogen on field pea in Australia.