Invasive Species Compendium

Detailed coverage of invasive species threatening livelihoods and the environment worldwide

Abstract

Investigation and application of ornamental plants in Guangxi.

Abstract

The application of ornamental plants is getting important along with the growing economy that people pay more and more attention to environmental aesthetics. After investigating ornamental plants in the main big cities of Guangxi, China (Nanning, Liuzhou and Guilin, among others), a total of 809 species, varieties and forma were recorded, which belonged to 450 genera and 150 families of which 315 species, varieties and forma were native to Guangxi accounting for 38.94% and the other 494 were introduced, accounting for 61.06%. There were 283 arbor species and 253 herbaceous species in the record. The Palmaceae had the largest number (43), followed by Magnoliaceae species (33). Eucalyptus citriodora, Osmanthus fragrans and Roystonea regia played the most important roles in ornamental application due to their easy adaptation and wide usage. Category for application showed that there were 502 species used in road greening, 494 species in parks, plazas and street greening and 428 species in landscape design.