You are here:
Genetics of the Dog
Edited by: Anatoly Ruvinsky, University of New England, Australia, Elaine Ostrander, National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), USA, Jeff Sampson, The Kennel Club, London, UK
March 2012 | Hardback | 536 Pages | 9781845939403
$246.00 | £128.99 | €170.95
DescriptionRecognizing the significant advances made in the field of animal genetics in the ten years since the first edition of Genetics of the Dog, this new edition of the successful 2001 book provides a comprehensive update on the subject, along with new material on topics of current and growing interest. Existing chapters on essential topics such as immunogenetics, genetics of diseases, developmental genetics and the genetics of behaviour have been fully updated, while new authors report on the latest advances in areas such as genetic diversity of dog breeds, canine genomics, olfactory genetics and cancer genetics.
Table of contents
- 1: Canid phylogeny and origin of the domestic dog.
- 2: Experimental studies of early canid domestication
- 3: Genetic diversity and phylogenetic relationships of dog breeds.
- 4: Molecular genetics of coat colour, texture and length
- 5: Mendelian traits in the dog
- 6: Immunogenetics
- 7: Genetic aspects of orthopaedic disorders in the dog
- 8: Genetics of cancer in dogs
- 9: Genetics of neurological disease in the dog
- 10: Genetics of eye disorders in the dog
- 11: Cytogenetics and chromosome maps
- 12: Canine genomics
- 13: Genetics of canine behavioural disorders
- 14: Biology of reproduction and modern reproductive technology
- 15: Developmental genetics
- 16: Genetics of morphological traits
- 17: Olfactory genetics
- 18: Pedigree analysis, genotype testing and genetic counselling
- 19: Genetics of quantitative traits and improvement of the dog breeds
- 20: Complex traits.
- 21: Canine model in medical genetics
- 22: Genetic aspects of performance in working dogs
- 23: Genetic nomenclature
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.
Since graduation from Novosibirsk State University (Russia) in 1969 A. Ruvinsky has been working in several fields of genetics for more than 40 years. He received his PhD in 1974 and Dr.Sc. in 1985. In 1986 A. Ruvinsky was elected as head of laboratory of animal genetics and 1988 as Vice Director of the Institute of Cytology and Genetics of Russian Academy of Sciences. In 1993 A. Ruvinsky joined the University of New England, Australia. Professor Ruvinsky published more than 100 refereed papers in leading genetic journals and edited 14 books so far. This includes the series of books on mammalian genetics, which currently undergoes 2nd edition. His conceptual book “Genetics and Randomness” was published in 2009.
Linear Models for the Prediction of Animal Breeding Values
By: Raphael A Mrode
$98.95 | £51.99 | €68.00
Beef Cattle Production Systems
By: Andy Herring
$75.00 | £39.95 | €55.00
Growth of Farm Animals
By: Tony Lawrence, Vernon Fowler, Jan Novakofski
$246.00 | £128.99 | €170.95