You are here:
DescriptionThis book has an introduction and 22 other chapters that cover science communication skills. The editor has detailed knowledge of the field and consultation with leading editors and journalists in the region. It provides hands-on guidance together with examples, learning activities, graded and ungraded quizzes to facilitate learning. The content has been tried and tested by lecturers at two universities in Nigeria and Uganda, who used it to successfully train thousands of students in science communication. Each chapter carries hands-on advice on the practice of science journalism, with learning activities to deepen the learner's understanding of the topic. The book also includes five academic systematic review papers, written by university faculty, that that identify, review and synthesize available literature and experiences on science journalism and communication issues in the region. It also includes a case study detailing the experience of Uganda's Makerere University in introducing science journalism and communication into their undergraduate and post-graduate curricula.
Table of contents
- Part I: Theory and experience
- Chapter 1: What is scientific research and how is it conducted?
- Chapter 2: Theories and models of science communication
- Chapter 3: Current status and future of science communication in Africa
- Chapter 4: Science communication in Uganda: revising a university curriculum to meet the needs
- Chapter 5: Thinking across boundaries: interdisciplinarity as the basis of science journalism
- Chapter 6: The place of science in the African newsroom
- Part II: Science journalism practice
- Chapter 7: Working with scientists
- Chapter 8: Getting a story from an original research paper
- Chapter 9: Getting a science story from technical reports
- Chapter 10: Advanced technical skills for science reporting
- Chapter 11: Reporting science responsibly
- Chapter 12: Simplifying scientific facts, numbers and statistics
- Chapter 13: Packaging a science story
- Chapter 14: Bringing a science story to life
- Chapter 15: Interrogating science
- Chapter 16: Earning a living from science journalism
ReadershipThis book is ideal for students of science journalism and communication and those wanting to improve the understanding of science, particularly in Africa
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.
Wendo is a science journalist, media trainer and veterinary doctor. He has worked with CABI since November 2017 as training coordinator for SciDev.Net. His role involves training journalists on how to report about science in the media. He does this by organising online and face-to-face training and supporting universities in Africa to embed science journalism in their undergraduate curricula.
Prior to joining CABI he worked with the New Vision newspaper in Uganda for over 16 years as a science writer, science editor, Saturday Vision editor and Sunday Vision editor. He also worked with the Infectious Diseases Institute of Makerere University in Uganda as a communication specialist for over two years.
Edited by: M Mumtaz Khan, Rashid Al-Yahyai, Fahad Al-Said
£100.45 | €132.15 | $169.15
Tropical Forage Legumes
By: John R. Lazier, Nazeer Ahmad
£146.75 | €190.05 | $244.85
Nursery Screening for Ganoderma Response in Oil Palm Seedlings
By: Miranti Rahmaningsih, Ike Virdiana, Syamsul Bahri, Yassier Anwar, Brian Forster, Frédéric Breton
£20.50 | €25.65 | $30.75
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|