You are here:
DescriptionFasciolosis is a major global infection of livestock causing both huge losses to the agricultural community and affecting human health as a food-borne disease. Fully updated throughout, this new edition continues to cover the life cycle, biology, and development of the parasite; clinical pathology, immunology, diagnosis and vaccine development; and emergence, cause and mechanisms of drug resistance. It reviews the temperate liver fluke Fasciola hepatica, together with molecular, biochemical, control, and epidemiologial aspects of the tropical liver fluke F. gigantica.
Many fundamental advances have taken place in the last two decades, but of particular importance has been the mapping of the draft genome of Fasciola. In addition, comprehensive advances in transcriptomics, proteomics and glycomics have been made, and the book therefore pays particular attention to these developments with the addition of brand-new chapters. Also covering the impact these parasites have had on the global human population, their distribution and their ecology, this book provides a comprehensive and accessible resource for scientists, researchers and students of medical and veterinary parasitology.
Table of contents
- 1: The Discovery of Fasciola hepatica and its Life Cycle. STUART J. ANDREWS, KRYSTYNA CWIKLINSKI AND JOHN PIUS DALTON.
- 2: Fasciola hepatica larval development within the intermediate host. GILLES DREYFUSS, PHILIPPE SINDOU, PHILIPPE HOURDIN, PHILIPPE VIGNOLES AND DANIEL RONDELAUD.
- 3: Development of Fasciola hepatica in the Mammalian Host. MARK W. ROBINSON, ROBERT E.B. HANNA AND IAN FAIRWEATHER.
- 4: The Reproductive System of Fasciola hepatica. ROBERT E.B. HANNA, IAN FAIRWEATHER AND MARK W. ROBINSON.
- 5: Pathology, Pathophysiology and Clinical Aspects. NICHOLAS C. SANGSTER, ALVARO MARTÍNEZ-MORENO AND JOSÉ PÉREZ.
- 6: Epidemiology and Control. GABRIELA KNUBBEN-SCHWEIZER, ANNE-SOPHIE RÖSSLER, EVA SCHADE-WESKOTT AND PAUL R. TORGERSON.
- 7: Flukicidal Drugs: Pharmaco-therapeutics and Drug Resistance. LUIS I. ALVAREZ, CARLOS E. LANUSSE, DIANA J.L. WILLIAMS, IAN FAIRWEATHER AND JANE E. HODGKINSON.
- 8: Metabolism. ALOYSIUS G. M. TIELENS AND JAAP J. VAN HELLEMOND.
- 9: Immunological Interaction Between Fasciola and its Host. SHEILA DONNELLY, ROBIN FLYNN, GRACE MULCAHY AND SANDRA O’NEILL.
- 10: Diagnostics for Animal and Human Fasciolosis. FLORENCIO M. UBEIRA, VICTORIA MARTÍNEZ-SERNÁNDEZ, MARTA GONZÁLEZ-WARLETA, MERCEDES MEZO.
- 11: Applying ‘omics’ Technologies to Understand Fasciola spp. Biology. KRYSTYNA CWIKLINSKI, CAROLINA DE MARCO VERISSIMO, PAUL MCVEIGH, SHEILA DONNELLY AND JOHN P. DALTON.
- 12: Vaccines for Fasciola (liver fluke): New Thinking for an Old Problem. TERRY W SPITHILL, HAYLEY TOET, VIGNESH RATHINASAMY, GEMMA ZERNA, JACLYN SWAN, TIMOTHY CAMERON, PETER M SMOOKER, DAVID M PIEDRAFITA, ROBERT DEMPSTER, TRAVIS BEDDOE.
- 13: Fasciola gigantica and Fasciola-hybrids in Southeast Asia. NICHOLA CALVANI AND JAN ŠLAPETA.
- 14: Global Impact of Human Fascioliasis. PREETAM GANDHI, RICHA CHANDRA, ESTHER K. SCHMITT, CHIEN-WEI CHEN, SANJAY SAMANTRAY, VINAY KUMAR VENISHETTY, DAVID HUGHES.
ReadershipSuitable for scientists, researchers and students of medical and veterinary parasitology.
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.
Professor John Dalton graduated from University College Dublin with a PhD in Molecular Parasitology, before becoming a Postdoctoral Research Fellow working on schistosomes at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, then malaria at the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, USA. He briefly returned to Ireland as a lecturer at Dublin City University, before taking Director level roles at the University of Technology Sydney in Australia, and later McGill University, Canada. Returning home in 2013, he became the Professor in Infectious Diseases at Queens University of Belfast, Northern Ireland, and since 2019 has taken the role of Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Professor in Molecular Parasitology at the National University of Ireland Galway.
Taenia solium Cysticercosis: From Basic to Clinical Science
Edited by: Gagandeep Singh, Sudesh Prabhakar
£155.00 | €203.90 | $298.20
Edited by: Roland N Perry, Maurice Moens, James Starr
£127.20 | €160.15 | $243.05
Lyme Borreliosis: Biology, Epidemiology and Control
Edited by: Jeremy Gray, Olaf Kahl, Robert Lane, Gerold Stanek
£132.85 | €176.10 | $253.40
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|