You are here:
Tourism and Gender-based Violence
Edited by: Paola Vizcaino-Suárez, Bournemouth University, UK, Heather Jeffrey, Middlesex University, Dubai, UAE, Claudia Eger, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
August 2020 | Hardback | 208 Pages | 9781789243215
August 2020 | ePDF 9781789243222 | ePub 9781789243239
£87.15 | €97.40 | $117.85
£87.15 | €97.40 | $117.85
DescriptionGender based violence (GBV) in travel and tourism is embedded within wider social structures of gender inequalities and discrimination. This book focuses on the multiple and interconnected manifestations of violence that women and girls encounter in tourism consumption and production, such as physical, sexual, emotional or socio-economic abuse. The book adopts a multidisciplinary perspective in its critical examination of the theoretical landscape of GBV, and its engagement with case studies on GBV and sexual harassment. It draws on feminist, intersectional and post-colonial frameworks, bringing together contributions from academics and practitioners across the globe.
Provides a critical approach to gender-based violence as part of broader social structures of inequality and discrimination in the tourism and hospitality industries.
Draws on a range of disciplinary approaches, includinggender studies, geography, international relations, law, sociology and tourism studies.
Brings together work by scholars who are engaging with the concept of gender-based violence in a wide range of tourism settings and practices.
Includes profiles of organisations and initiatives that are attempting to tackle GBV in tourism, hospitality and beyond.
Exploring an important topic of current times, this book will be of interest to researchers and practitioners in the areas of tourism, hospitality, gender studies, international relations, law, geography and sociology.
Table of contents
- -: Introducing Critical Debates on Gender-based Violence in Tourism
- Chapter 1: Gender-Based Violence: A Systematic Review of Causes and Intersections with Tourism
- Chapter 2: Gender-Based Harassment in Tourism Academia: Organisational Collusion, Coercion and Compliance
- Chapter 3: The Silenced Phenomenon: Sexual harassment in the Hospitality and Tourism Workplace
- Chapter 4: Labour Force Participation and Violence: A Research about Female Tourism Workers in Turkey
- Chapter 5: Sexual Harassment and Wellbeing in Tourism Workplaces: The Perspectives of Female Tour Guides
- Chapter 6: Trafficking in Human Beings in the Tourism Industry: Trends and Approaches
- Chapter 7: Embodying Gender and Risk: Mountain Bike Tourism in Mexico
- Chapter 8: An Autoethnography of Respectful Tourism: The Double-Bind of a Female Traveller in Morocco
- Chapter 9: “Danger Men” - Effects of a Post-Chauvinism Campaign Aimed at Tourists in Spain
- Chapter 10: #MeToo: A Feminist Hashtag Analysis of Gender-Based Violence Against Solo Female Travellers
ReadershipResearchers and practitioners in the areas of tourism, hospitality, gender studies, development, international relations, geography and sociology.
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.
Tour Operators and Operations
By: Jacqueline Holland, David Leslie
£30.75 | €41.00 | $51.25
Visitor Experience Design
Edited by: Noel Scott, Jun Gao, Jianyu Ma
£89.70 | €115.80 | $147.60
Tourism Management in Warm-water Island Destinations
Edited by: Michelle McLeod, Robertico Croes
£46.15 | €51.25 | $61.50
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|