DescriptionMulti-drug resistant infections are one of the greatest threats to human health, and with resistance on the rise, appropriate antimicrobial stewardship (AMS) is more important than ever. This book, written by nurses for nurses, provides a clear and concise approach to good practice in this vital area. It explores all aspects of AMS, explaining the practices that ensure the optimal use of antibiotics for the best clinical outcome, with both minimal toxicity to the patient and minimal impact on subsequent antimicrobial resistance. Written by a global team of experts, it covers infection prevention and control, antimicrobial resistance, diagnosis of infection and appropriate antimicrobial use, patient engagement, collaboration between professions and how to implement AMS in nursing practice. The first AMS textbook applied directly to nursing practice, and underpinned by a competency framework designed by the editor team, it includes learning tools such as objectives, practical case studies and questions throughout.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction- Molly Courtenay
- Chapter 2: Infection prevention and control- Bri?tte du Toit, Yolanda van Zyl
- Chapter 3: Antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance- Maria Clara Padoveze, Ligia Maria Abraão, Rosely Moralez de Figueiredo
- Chapter 4: The diagnosis of infection and the use of antibiotics- Jo McEwen, Heather Kennedy, Nykoma Hamilton
- Chapter 5: Antimicrobial prescribing practice- Enrique Castro-Sánchez
- Chapter 6: Person-centred care- Emma Burnett, Valerie Ness
- Chapter 7: Interprofessional collaborative practice - Fiona Gotterson, Elizabeth Manias
- Chapter 8: Leading and supporting antimicrobial stewardship- Rose Gallagher, Rita Olans, Susie Singleton, Joanne Bosanquet
ReadershipCovering all the key aspects, and written by a clear and concise nurse practitioner team, this book is an essential read for undergraduate nurse students worldwide
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.