You are here:
DescriptionPlanetary Health - the idea that human health and the health of the environment are inextricably linked - encourages the preservation and sustainability of natural systems for the benefit of human health. Drawing from disciplines such as public health, environmental science, evolutionary anthropology, welfare economics, geography, policy and organizational theory, it addresses the challenges of the modern world, where human health and well-being is threatened by increasing pollution and climate change.
A comprehensive publication covering key concepts in this emerging field, Planetary Health reviews ideas and approaches to the subject such as natural capital, ecological resilience, evolutionary biology, One Earth and transhumanism. It also sets out through case study chapters the main links between human health and environmental change, covering:
- Climate change, land use and waterborne infectious diseases.
- Sanitation, clean energy and fertilizer use.
- Trees, well-being and urban greening.
- Livestock, antibiotics and greenhouse gas emissions.
Providing an extensive overview of key theories and literature for academics and practitioners who are new to the field, this engaging and informative read also offers an important resource for students of a diverse range of subjects, including environmental sciences, animal sciences, geography and health.
Table of contents
- Part 1: Introduction and Key Concepts
- 1: Introduction to Planetary Health
- 2: Key Concepts in Planetary Health
- Part 2: Conceptual Frameworks for Planetary Health
- 3: The Evolutionary Biology Approach: a Natural Baseline for Human Health
- 4: The Natural Capital Approach: Opportunities and Challenges
- 5: The One Earth Approach: Planetary Health in an Era of Limits
- 6: The Transhuman Approach: Technoscience and Nature
- Part 3: Human Health in an Era of Global Environmental Change
- 7: Trends in Human Health
- 8: The Demographic Transition
- 9: The Epidemiological Transition
- 10: The Ecological Transition
- 11: Agriculture: Land Use, Food Systems and Biodiversity
- 12: Urbanization, Living Standards and Sustainability
- 13: Energy Use, Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Global Warming
- 14: Environmental Protection: a Key Tool for Planetary Health
- 15: Conclusions: Equity, Distribution and Planetary Health
- Part 4: Case Studies of Planetary Health
- 16: Climate Change, Land Use and Waterborne Infectious Disease
- 17: Sanitation, Clean Energy and Fertilizer
- 18: Trees, Well-being and Urban Greening
- 19: Livestock, Antibiotics and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
ReadershipSuitable for policy makers and students interested in planetary health, as well as researchers of connected areas such as environmental science, animal science and health who are looking for an integrated overview of how these sectors intersect.
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.
Jennifer Cole studied biological anthropology at Cambridge University and has a PhD in Computer Science from Royal Holloway University of London. She worked in publishing from 1994-2007 and then as a Senior Research Fellow in a policy think tank from 2007-2017, where her portfolio covered cyber security, pandemic response and crisis communications. She returned to academic full-time in 2017 first with Oxford University and then Royal Holloway, where she is now based in the Geography Department, School of Life Sciences and the Environment. She has moderated major online disease outbreak discussion forums for Ebola, Zika, Nipah virus and COVID-19, is a regular media commentator, and was part of the first cohort to undertake World Health Organization Infodemic Manager training 2020.
Healthy Soils for Healthy Vines
By: Robert White, Mark Krstic
£75.00 | €90.00 | $105.00
Livestock Production and Climate Change
Edited by: Pradeep K. Malik, Raghavendra Bhatta, Junichi Takahashi, Richard Kohn, Cadaba S Prasad
£49.99 | €60.00 | $70.00
Climate Change and Global Health
Edited by: Colin Butler
£92.70 | €120.50 | $176.10
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|