You are here:
DescriptionThis is the first book to address the concept of resilience and its specific application and relevance to tourism, in particular tourism destinations. Resilience relates to the ability of organisms, communities, ecosystems and populations to withstand the impacts of external forces while retaining their integrity and ability to continue functioning. It is particularly applicable to tourism destinations and attractions which are exposed to the potentially harmful and sometimes severe effects of tourism development and visitation, but which also can experience increased resilience from the economic benefits of tourism.
Phenomena such as destination communities, wildlife populations and ecosystems are discussed, as well as the ability of places and communities to use tourism and its infrastructure to recover from disasters such as tsunamis, earthquakes, unrest and disease. This book:
· Compares the relevance of resilience to sustainability
· Contains contributions from many of the leading international authors
· Brings together varying viewpoints of both conceptual and applied issues
· Includes example case studies from Whistler, western Canada; Sri Lanka; Purnululu National Park, Australia; and the remote Pitcairn Island in the Pacific
Tourism and Resilience is relevant for researchers, students and practitioners in tourism and related fields such as development studies, geography, sociology, anthropology, economics and business/management.
Table of contents
- PART ONE: INTRODUCTION
- 1: INTRODUCTION
- 2: THE DEVELOPMENT OF RESILIENCE THINKING
- 3: COMMUNITY TOURISM RESILIENCE: SOME APPLICATIONS OF THE SCALE, CHANGE AND RESILIENE (SCR) MODEL
- PART 2: SOCIO-ECOLOGICAL RESILIENCE
- 4: SOCIO-ECOLOGICAL BALANCE IN COMMUNITY BASED TOURISM EXPERIENCES: A RESARCH PROPOSAL
- 5: RESILIENCE AND DESTINATION GOVERNANCE
- 6: RESILIENCE AND DESTINATION GOVERNANCE: WHISTLER, B.C.
- PART 3: RESILIENCE AND RESPONSE TO DISASTERS
- 7: SRI LANKAN TOURISM DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLICATIONS FOR RESILIENCE
- 8: RESILIENCE, TOURISM AND DISASTERS
- 9: RESILIENCE AND PERCEPTIONS OF PROBLEMS IN ALPINE REGIONS
- PART 4: RESILIENCE IN PROTECTED NATURAL AREAS AND INSULAR LOCATIONS
- 10: Tourism Resilience in UK National Parks
- 11: RESILIENCE AND PROTECTED AREA TOURISM IN PURNULULU NATIONAL PARK: UNDERSTANDING INTERACTIONS WITH A FOCUS ON COMMUNITY BENEFITS
- 12: RESILIENCE AND TOURISM IN ISLANDS: INSIGHTS FROM THE CARIBBEAN
- 13: RESILIENCE AND TOURISM IN REMOTE LOCATIONS: PITCAIRN ISLANDS
- PART 5: RESILIENCE AND THE TOURISM INDUSTRY
- 14: ISSUES OF RESILIENCE, SUSTAINABILITY AND RESPONSIBILITY IN TOURISM
- 15: BETTING ON CASINO TOURISM RESILIENCE: A CASE STUDY OF CASINO EXPANSION IN MACAO AND THE ASIA REGION
- 16: RESILIENCE AS NEW POLITICAL REALITY
- PART 6: CONCLUSIONS
ReadershipSuitable for academics, students and researchers within tourism.
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.
Richard Butler was educated at Nottingham University and the University of Glasgow (PhD Geography 1973), and spent thirty years at the University of Western Ontario in Canada as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Geography, and then the University of Surrey, where he was Professor of Tourism from 1997 to 2005. He is currently Emeritus Professor of International Tourism in the Strathclyde Business School, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. He has published a large number of journal articles, fourteen books on tourism and many chapters in other books. His fields of interest are the development process of tourist destinations the impacts of tourism, carrying capacity and sustainability, and tourism in remote areas and islands.
Spiritual and Religious Tourism
Edited by: Ruth Dowson, Jabar Yaqub, Razaq Raj
£97.40 | €117.85 | $138.40
Dark Tourism and Pilgrimage
Edited by: Daniel H Olsen, Maximiliano Korstanje
£97.40 | €128.15 | $164.00
Religious Pilgrimage Routes and Trails
Edited by: Daniel H Olsen, Anna Trono
£46.15 | €51.25 | $61.50
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|