You are here:
A Text and Color Atlas
By: Claus D. Buergelt, University of Florida, USA, Edward G. Clark, University of Calgary, Canada, Fabio Del Piero, Louisiana State University, USA
May 2018 | Hardback | 448 Pages | 9781780646718
£125.00 | €165.00 | $205.00
DescriptionIllustrated with over 1000 color images of the highest quality, Bovine Pathology: A Text and Color Atlas is a comprehensive single resource to identifying diseases in dairy cattle, feedlot cattle, and their calves. With summary text describing key features, the book correlates clinical information with pathology and differential diagnoses.
The text covers naked-eye macroscopic appearance, through to microscopic pathology, and the immunohistochemistry of infectious agents and tumor markers. Structured by major organ system, the disease entries follow a consistent format and clarity of display. This, combined with an integrated E-book, handy fact sheets, summary boxes and key points, helps aid understanding. Key features include:
- Over 1000 superb color images to illustrate the pathologies
- A thorough review of mainly western hemisphere diseases of cattle covering macroscopic appearance, microscopic appearance, and immunohistochemistry
- Synoptic layout, fact sheets, summary boxes, succinct legends and key bullet points supports its use as a field guide or revision aid
- Organised by major organ system which ensures that vital facts can be found quickly
- A unique chapter covering calf-hood diseases
Serving as an essential reference work for veterinary pathologists who perform bovine necropsies, veterinary residents and students, the book is also practical enough for bovine practitioners who need to investigate sudden death losses of cattle on the farm.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1: Diseases of Neonates and Calves
- Chapter 2: Diseases of the Nervous System
- Chapter 3: Diseases of the Respiratory System
- Chapter 4: Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
- Chapter 5: Diseases of the Gastrointestinal Tract
- Chapter 6: Diseases of the Hepatobiliary System and Pancreas
- Chapter 7: Diseases of the Urinary System
- Chapter 8: Diseases of the Musculo-Skeletal System
- Chapter 9: Diseases of the Endocrine System
- Chapter 10: Diseases of the Reproductive System
- Chapter 11: Diseases of the Hematopoietic and Hemolymphatic System
- Chapter 12: Diseases of the Integument
- Chapter 13: Diseases of the Claw, Foot Skin and Soft Tissues
- Chapter 14: Diseases of the Udder and Teats
- Chapter 15: Diseases of the Eye and Ears
- Chapter 16: Select Poisonous Plant-Induced Diseases in Cattle
- Chapter 17: Bovine Diseases without Lesions
ReadershipSuitable for veterinary pathologists, veterinary residents and students, as well as bovine practitioners.
It is well organized by body systems. Common syndromes and diseases of the newborn, digestive system, and CNS and the topic of reproductive wastage are extensively covered. This book will be helpful for practitioners, pathologists, and veterinary students interested in bovine diseases. I highly recommend this book. Dale Miskimins, December 2018 - Dale Miskimins
Bovine Pathology: A Text and Color Atlas is a good and valuable book. It is well organized by body systems. Common syndromes and diseases of the newborn, digestive system, respiratory system, and CNS and the topic of re-productive wastage are extensively covered. The images are numerous and well chosen. Beautiful photomicrographs and immunohistochemistry images contribute to the understanding of the diseases described. This book will be helpful for practitioners, pathologists, and veterinary students interested in bovine diseases. I highly recommend this book. Well done! Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, December 2018 - Dale Miskimins
Readers should have few complaints... a working book to have in the laboratory. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, March 2019 - Donal O'Toole
I found this book to be organized, thorough, visually appealing, and interesting. In it, there are things one sees every day and things one has rarely or never seen.... This book will definitely be useful to pathologists, students (who still remember their histology), and bovine practitioners (who probably can't), and might even provide some incentive to do more postmortems in the field to find some of these interesting lesions. Canadian Veterinary Journal, September 2019 - Cathy Patterson, DMV
A prestigious author and researcher, Professor Buergelt is author of Color Atlas of Equine Pathology published by Wiley 2014. He taught Veterinary Pathology to professional students and residents for over 30 years while on the faculty of the University of Florida. He has longstanding continuous professional experience in diagnostic veterinary pathology, covering domestic animal species, especially large animals, small animals, wildlife/exotic animal species and zoo animals. His research interest focused on bovine paratuberculosis (Johne’s disease), an important worldwide infectious disease of ruminants.
Dr. Edward G. Clark is an adjunct professor with the University of Calgary, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Clark has gained considerable experience and is one of the greatest experts in the pathology of feedlot cattle. He also specializes in veterinary dermatopathology.
Dr. Del Piero (board-certified) is Professor of Veterinary Pathology at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, USA. Dr. Del Piero has considerable experience in the pathology of large animals.
Olfaction in Animal Behaviour and Welfare
Edited by: Birte L. Nielsen
£45.00 | €60.00 | $75.00
Companion Animal Economics
By: Sophie S Hall, Luke Dolling, Katie Bristow, Ted Fuller, Daniel Mills
£17.99 | €25.00 | $30.00
Livestock Handling and Transport
Edited by: Temple Grandin
£49.99 | €65.00 | $85.00