You are here:
Western Corn Rootworm
Ecology and Management
Edited by: Stefan Vidal, Georg-August University, Goettingen, Germany, Ulrich Kuhlmann, CABI Bioscience, Switzerland, C Edwards, Purdue University, W Lafayette, Indiana, USA
December 2004 | Hardback | 320 Pages | 9780851998176
DescriptionWestern Corn Rootworm, Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte, has been a major economic pest of maize in the Americas for many years. However, since the early 1990's it has become an increasing threat to crops in Europe and is expected to spread to all maize growing areas of the continent. This book provides a comprehensive review of current knowledge of the biology and ecology of this insect pest and how it might be managed in order to limit its damage as it spreads into new agroecological areas. Cultural, biotechnical, and biological control measures are addressed, as are ecological baseline data such as population dynamics, economic thresholds and aspects of its behaviour. The book also examines the potential of plant protection techniques currently used in North America to be applied in Europe.
Table of contents
- 1: Invasive Alien Species - a Threat to Global Biodiversity and Opportunities to Prevent and Manage Them
- 2: Monitoring of Western Corn Rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) in Europe 1992-2003
- 3: A Synopsis of the Nutritional Ecology of Larvae and Adults of Diabrotica virgifera virgifera (LeConte)in the New and Old World- Nouvelle Cuisine for the Invasive Maize Pest Diabrotica virgifera virgifera in Europe?
- 4: Western Corn Rootworm, Cucurbits and Curcurbitacins
- 5: Natural Mortality Factors Acting on Western Corn Rootworm Populations: a Comparison between the United States and Central Europe.
- 6: Movement, Dispersal and Behaviour of Western Corn Rootworrm Adults in Rotated Maize and Soyabean Fields.
- 7: Within-field Spatial Variation of Northern Corn Rootworm Distributions
- 8: Heterogeneous Landscapes and Variable Behaviour: Modelling Rootworm Evolution and Geographic Spread
- 9: Sampling Devices and Decision Rule Development for Western Corn Rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) Adults in Soybean to Predict Subsequent Damage to Maize in Indiana
- 10: Western Corn Rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) and the Crop Rotation Systems in Europe
- 11: Application of the Areawide Concept Using Semiochemical based Insecticide Baits for Managing the Western Corn Rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) Variant in the Eastern Midwest
- 12: Genetically Enhanced Maize as a Potential Management Option for Corn Rootworm: YieldGard® Rootworm Maize Case Study
- 13: Is Classical Biological Control against Western Corn Rootworm in Europe a Potential Sustainable Management Strategy?
- 14: Maize Growing, Maize High-risk Areas and Potential Yield Losses due to Western Corn Rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) Damage in Selected European Countries
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.