You are here:
DescriptionInfectious diseases are an important cause of malnutrition. Recurrent infections increase the risk of malnutrition while poor nutritional status results in lowered immune status and predisposes to infectious disease thus propagating the vicious cycle of infection and malnutrition. The nutrition-infection-immunity axis is crucial for both developed and developing countries and is now a central feature of many nutrition and infectious disease courses.
Bringing together nutrition and immunology, Nutrition, Immunity and Infections covers the topic in an accessible format for all students of nutrition, medicine and public health. Through his work at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, the FAO's Food and Nutrition Division and his current post at the University of Southampton, Professor Shetty has built a reputation to match his wealth of experience in the relationship between nutrition and susceptibility to infection.
Table of contents
- SECTION 1: Introduction
- 2: Defence mechanisms of the body
- 3: Nutrients in food
- 4: Role of nutrients in infection and immune functions
- 5: Effects of under nutrition on host defence mechanisms and the immune response
- SECTION 2: Role of infections in the aetiology and pathogenesis of under nutrition
- 7: Vitamin A deficiency and risk of infection
- 8: Zinc deficiency and infections
- 9: Iron status and risk of infection
- SECTION 3: Nutrition and diarrhoeal disease
- 11: Nutrition and parasitic infections
- 12: Nutrition and HIV/AIDS
- 13: Nutrition and tuberculosis
- SECTION 4: Nutrition and infection in infancy and childhood
- 15: Maternal nutrition and infection
- 16: Nutrition and infection in the elderly and aged
- 17: Relationships between infections and non-communicable diseases"
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.
Health Benefits of Green Tea
Edited by: Yukihiko Hara, Chung S Yang, Mamoru Isemura, Isao Tomita
£108.00 | €144.00 | $180.00
Health Benefits of Organic Food
Edited by: D Givens, Samantha Baxter, Anne Marie Minihane, Elizabeth Shaw
£110.20 | €143.15 | $210.05
Amino Acids in Human Nutrition and Health
Edited by: J P F D'Mello
£143.15 | €193.15 | $276.00