Invasive Species Compendium

Detailed coverage of invasive species threatening livelihoods and the environment worldwide

Abstract

A selective medium for enumeration and recovery of Pseudomonas cepacia biotypes from soil.

Abstract

TB-T medium provieds a high degree of selectivity for and detection of Pseudomonas cepacia biotypes upon initial plating from soil. TB-T medium consists of a basal medium with glucose as the sole carbon source and asparagine as the sole nitrogen source. The selectivity of TB-T medium is based on the combination of trypan blue (TB) and tetracycline (T) (pH 5.5). On TB-T medium, 216 of 300 isolates (72%) from five different soil types were identified as P. cepacia. The remaining 28% were facultative organsims that could be separated readily from P.cepacia by anaerobic glucose fermentation and by their inability to grow at 41°C. Molds were controlled on low soil dilutions by adding crystal violet, nystatin, or both. Elimination of either ingredient or elevation of the pH to 7.5 resulted in a pronounced loss of selectivity. The efficiency of recovery varied considerably among P. cepacia strains but was high enough for some strains (76 to 86%) to permit quantitative studies. TB-T medium combines a defined formulation with high selectivity and allows recovery of P. cepacia biotypes from low soil dilutions (101 to 103).