Frequently Asked Questions
What are the key features of the new compendium platform?
- It is much easier to search for content and there is a much improved display of content once found.
- There is a browse function (left hand side bar) for content by topic for better exposure of content.
- A powerful new search engine for improved, easier data retrieval.
- Access to the latest up-to-date bibliographic content is available through weekly updates on CAB Direct.
- Links to full text content on the web and access to CABI Full Text are now available through the bibliographic database. The latter gives access to many relevant journal and conference articles.
- Access to the new easy-to-use CAB Direct database platform.
- Datasheets are now updated online immediately we complete work on them.
- Regular updating is also possible for library content and database-linked full text.
- Access to library documents.
- Reports generator
- Background information (help, about, etc.)
- A glossary module.
Why the new platform?
The old platform was initially designed over 10 years ago and in fact each compendium was on a separate system. CABI has invested considerably to bring all the technology up to date.
What is the new content in the FC since the last edition?
Over 300 updated datasheets
Distribution data updated further on many datasheets using EPPO information
Over 200,000 extra bibliographic records from most recent literature
8500 Full Text crop protection articles from journals and conferences
Is that the last content update until a new edition is published?
No. Bibliographic and Full Text content is updated every week. You can now supplement the datasheet information by checking the very latest scientific literature.
Revised datasheets can now be made available as soon as they are completed. Check the ‘Updates' link on the left hand menu for the latest information.
Will new features be developed?
The new platform is based on modules and so can be enhanced with features as demand is established and resources are available.
What about a CD or standalone version?
While recognising the need for standalone versions, e.g. for developing countries, these can never mirror the power of a web-based system. There are no plans at present to produce a CD or standalone version of the FC.
Will all current features of the compendia be available on the new platform?
No. Feedback, internal and external, from current and prospective customers, has pointed to the datasheets as being the key resources used. The focus has been to expose this content more effectively and to be able to update it more regularly.
Specifically what features currently on the FC will not appear on the new platform?
The Species Selection module and Pest Search. The Tree Seed Suppliers Directory is no longer embedded in the Compendium, but we will be linking to websites that provide this data.
Notepad and softlinking are also not implemented as current web sharing and search functionality have supplanted these.