what is the Animal Health and Production Compendium?
The AHPC is an encyclopedic, mixed-media, one-stop shop for information on animal diseases, their pathogens and vectors, as well as animal husbandry, genetics and nutrition of livestock and poultry species and breeds. In recognition of their close association, the Compendium links knowledge on health, disease, food safety and quality, and husbandry aspects of livestock and poultry production.
* The AHPC glossary is an amalgamation of Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, included by permission of Elsevier, and two CABI publications, Mason’s World Dictionary of Livestock Breeds, Types and Varieties and The Encyclopedia of Farm Animal Nutrition.
- Over 3,000 datasheets covering animal diseases, pathogens, disease vectors, livestock and poultry species and breeds, and food safety
- An additional 20,000 ‘basic’ datasheets
- Over 135,000 bibliographic records from the CAB Abstracts database
- Over 13,000 bibliographic records linking to full text articles
- 2,000 + images for demos and teaching
- Glossary with more than 30,000 definitions*
- An extensive electronic library with over 200 items
- Datasheets providing key, concise information on diseases, pathogens, vectors, and livestock species and breeds. They incorporate:
- Informative text and data provided by leading world experts
- Disease distribution data from OIE (World Organisation for Animal Health)
- In-country breed information from DAD-IS (FAO’s Domestic Animal Diversity-Information System)
- Global and regional maps from underlying geographic databases
- Clinical information from Consultant, a leading diagnostic support system, by permission of Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine
- Extensive Electronic library – Sourced from over 15 reputable publishers
what does it cover?
All aspects of health and production of the major economically important livestock and poultry species and breeds throughout the world including:
Distribution, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of infectious, zoonotic and non-infectious diseases / Diseases, pathogens and vectors / Husbandry, housing and animal welfare / Genetics and breeding / Nutrition and feeding / Herd and rangeland management / Economics of animal production disease impact / Animal production, dairy management and technology / Food safety and quality of livestock and poultry products throughout the food management chain, including HACCP techniques and systems, quality assurance, important zoonotic microbial pathogens and quality and safety aspects of individual food products.
who uses it?
Lecturers, extension officers, researchers and students, development project workers, government scientists and policy makers, farmers, producers and breeders of livestock and poultry, the pharmaceutical industry, veterinarians, veterinary nurses, technicians and auxiliary staff, feed and equipment manufacturers, marketers and distributors
what do they have to say about it?
“The AHPC is an electronic tool, with a user-friendly interface... removing the need to search separately through numerous sources.”
Appropriate Technology, Vol. 29, No. 3
“A wonderful and revolutionary innovation”
John David Kabasa, Makerere University, Uganda
“Excellent as an aide memoire and a fi rst stop for reference.”
Introducing the International Development Consortium
The Animal Health and Production Compendium is an initiative of 30 members of a global Development Consortium, which includes government departments, technical institutions, development-assistance agencies and private-sector companies.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) | Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) | Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) | BASF Fine Chemicals | Bayer Animal Health | CABI | Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) | Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) | Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), UK | Department for International Development (DFID), UK | European Commission (EC) | International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) | International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) | Intervet International BV | Merial | Monsanto Company | National Pork Board (NPB), USA | National Cattlemen's Beef Association, USA | New Zealand Agency for International Development (NZAID) | Pfizer Animal HealthSchering Plough Animal Health | Sygen International plc (formerly PIC) | Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) | US Department of Agriculture - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA-APHIS) | US Department of Agriculture - Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS) | US Department of Agriculture - Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service (USDA-CSREES) | US Department of Agriculture - Foreign Agricultural Service (USDA-FAS) | US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) | US Poultry and Egg Association
CABI has developed the Animal Health and Production Compendium in partnership with the following organizations:
Cornell University, USA | Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank (FARAD) | Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) | Sindicato Nacional da Indústria de Produtos para Saúde Animal (SINDAN), Brazil | World Organization for Animal Health (OIE)
Support for the development of the Animal Health and Production Compendium, specifically its Web-enablement, was provided by the European Commission through INCO-DEV (International Cooperation with Developing Countries), and is gratefully acknowledged.
Other Compendia from CABI and other Development Consortia
Crop Protection Compendium
Invasive Species Compendium